May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER

"There's a graveyard near the White House,
where the Unknown Soldier lies.
The flowers there are sprinkled,
with the tears from a Mothers eyes.

I stood there not so long ago,
with roses for the brave,
and suddenly I heard a voice
speak out from far beyond the grave.
"I'm the Unknown Soldier,"
the spirit voice began,
"And I think I have the right,
to ask some questions man to man.

Are my buddies taken care of?
Was their victory so sweet?
Is that big reward you offered,
selling pencils on the street?


"Did they really win the freedom
they battled so hard to achieve?
Do you still respect that Croix de Guerre
above that empty sleeve?
Does that gold star in the window
now mean anything at all?

I wonder how my wife now feels,
when she hears a bugle call?
And my baby who says
"Hello Central, give me no man"
can they replace her Daddy,
with a military band?


"I wonder if the profiteers
have satisfied their greed?
I wonder if a Soldiers Mother,
ever is in need?
I wonder if the kings who planned it all,
are really satisified?
They played their game of checkers,
and eleven million died.

I'm the Unknown Soldier,
and maybe I died in vain.
But if I were alive and my Country called,
I'd do it all over again."


-Unknown Author (I got this off a website)

This is for every man and woman who have given their lives in the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, at the World Trade Center and at the Pentagon, in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, and for all the soldiers all over the world, not just the Americans. But the French, the English, the Spanish, the Polish, the Russian, the German, the Mexican, the list goes on and on. For every single person fighting for their country, giving up their lives for their country, taking the risks of losing everything and everyone they've ever loved, this is for them. Take some time today to think about the fact that the reason you're able to sit at home and eat hot dogs and hamburgers and cheeseburgers at a barbeque, or the reason that you can go to the pool and the beach and relax is that everyday, there are men and women, maybe even relatives, fighting for us. Fighting for our freedom. Fighting, so that we can do all those things in peace. Protecting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment